Monday, 29 November 2010

I did it!

Won NaNoWriMo, that is. I'm probably about two-thirds of the way through the draft, I know there are holes to be plugged and further research to be conducted to verify (or otherwise!) some of the assumptions I've made in order to keep the story moving forward. I've met some characters I didn't know would be in there and some things have happened that were unexpected - but which, from a narrative point of view, are good. I've changed the title once and very likely will again. And once the draft is complete - I'm aiming to keep the momentum going and wrap it up in a couple of weeks - I'll start again at the beginning, fixing stuff.

It's been great fun doing this, I got the same buzz as I did last time I did it (in 2006). And - just as I did then - I had to cut things out of my usual routine to make room for it. Some of those things I'm looking forward to picking up again, others I haven't missed as much as I feared I might, and so they will go for good (or at least for now - never say never!).

Anyway, the work continues. I'm really looking forward to finishing the draft and having a new novel - albeit it a flawed one - to read and to start to polish. And, if I feel it's good enough, early in the new year I'll be looking for a home for it. Fingers crossed! But for now, I'm basking in the glow that comes from having achieved what I set out to do four weeks ago - write 50,000 words of a new novel. :D

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations!Looking forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Jools. Fantastic achievement. Couldn't even contemplate getting me head down and having that sort of discipline. Much admiration to you from these snowless southern climbs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, lads! On to the end, now...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats, Julie, great news! Looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers, m'dear! Just got caught up with the UCF series - fantastic stuff! Absolutely loved it! Looking forward to the next instalment. :)

    ReplyDelete