Friday, 4 March 2011

E-publishing - first steps

Okay, so now I have a schedule of titles and a plan of action for my foray into e-publishing. The first book will be a collection of short stories, and whilst all but one have been previously published, a bunch of them haven't seen the light of day for some time and others have not been previously available other than in paid-for publications. (In fairness, some of them can still be read online for free, but the price on this e-book will be very low indeed.)

I have the content and the cover and I'm all ready to upload my e-book - which may bring on another bunch of issues, depending on how easily the file converts - but for one thing: copyright.

I want to continue to use one name for business books and another for fiction. I want to e-publish both types of book. I don't think I'm going to be able to keep the identities separate, however, and I'm in a quandary as to how important that may be. For starters, I will have no copyright protection on books published under my pen name unless I register every publication with the copyrighting service, or include a copyright notice showing my actual name. I suppose I could create a publishing company and copyright everything under that name, but I hesitate to take such a step as I'm not convinced it's a good idea.

I have a couple of days to get my head round this, but whilst I need to get this right, I don't want it to unnecessarily delay the start of this project. It's exciting! I can't wait to see what happens! And I'll report progress here, of course. (Another month and zero sales - awaaah!!!)

Am I making a mountain out of a molehill? Should I just get on with it and hope the two types of books don't alienate the two types of potential reader? Does anyone other than me even care about this stuff?

Anyway, in the meantime, here's the cover for the collection. It matches my fiction blog and I love it! (And yes - I know that's yet another name, but it's going to be 'the one' from now on - probably! ;p)

6 comments:

  1. Branding is the thing, they say. So you just have to make a decision. I suggest you use the name Paul D Brazill and send any payments to my Paypal account. To avoid confusion.Like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - I should have known I could rely on you to cut through all the crap and come up with a workable solution! Thanks, PDB - will do! (I don't think you'll be able to retire on the proceeds, mind. Or even buy a pint or two!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say you use the name Paul D Brazill and let the siphoning I've done from his account splash on over to ABSOLUTELY*KATE ...

    I promise to take you both out for drinks.

    *Clink*
    ~ Absolutely*Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mine's a martini - chin chin! ;p

    ReplyDelete
  5. My cousin recommended this blog and she was totally right keep up the fantastic work!



    E-Publishing

    ReplyDelete