Monday, 25 April 2011

Why I love harsh editing

Okay, I maybe don't love it. And maybe 'harsh' is too harsh a word. But there's a lot to be said for having your stuff read by someone who refuses to pander to your ego, someone who will tell you where you've gone wrong and where your jokes aren't making anybody but you laugh. I'm going through that process now - literally, as I write this - and it's not a comfortable experience. Bizarrely, it's not an entirely unpleasant one either. Because I know as a result of it I will end up with a better story to share with readers, I will have had the boils and carbuncles pointed out and they will have been smoothed and polished before my tale hits a wider audience. And that's better for everybody.

I've just received the email with the final comments and edits in it. I'm keen to read it and to start work on the next phase of 'the novel that has no name'. But I'm going to leave it until tomorrow, which looks like being another very busy day.

I can hardly wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment